Visiting Bora Bora? Here are 10 awesome tips to help you be prepared for your underwater Photo-Shoot.
Looking for an underwater photographer? Being in Bora Bora gives us wonderful opportunities to shoot in the water / underwater.
- Shooting with the wild life (full day tour)
- Day Time Fashion Shoot – Focusing on the fashion aspect (full day tour or at your resort)
- Evening / Night Fashion shoot – Focusing on the fashion aspect, darker and more surreal images. – We will usually conduct these sessions at your resort in the pool or on the main island.
PRIOR TO YOUR SHOOTING
- CLOTHING – We have a selection of dresses for you to use but if you wish to use your own: select loose clothing, colors such as white, red, orange / yellow works well in the water – Especially in darker water.
Try to use a light fabric that has a neutral density in the water. Heavy fabrics will sink faster or will tend to wrap around you.
- Eye drops can be useful as the chlorine or salt water might irritate your eyes – Fresh water also works if you did not bring your Visine with you.
If you are not familiar with free-diving / breath holding – Check these tips https://youtu.be/HHwLAlQTCCA
- Do not wear makeup or cream unless it is waterproof.
- Think of props you wish to use.
- Hair pins come in handy if you have long hair.
- Get inspiration on the web for some poses https://www.instagram.com/underwater.bliss – https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/underwaterfashion
- Although Bora Bora is warm year round, you might be in & out of the water – Bring a towel or wind breaker to stay warm out of the water.
- Shooting below the surface looks easier than done, be prepared to spend time in the water and perform many short dives.
- Some poses look great while upside down – Nose plugs can be useful if you are sensitive to having water in your nose.
- Practice your poses on land or in the water at your resort.
WHILE IN THE WATER
- We are here to coach you, for some shootings we will have an assistant for your safety (in deeper water)
- Key is to be relaxed and calm, the more you move underwater the more oxygen your body will consume.
- For most shootings, you will not be required to go deep – In most cases, we love capturing sub-surface reflection. That means you would need to be just below the surface, you do not need to be a world class free-diver! Each shot will require a 5-15 sec to capture.
- Relax and focus on your poses (again we will coach you), avoid having your arms in front of your face.
- Focus on your position, arms & legs – Curves look good, avoid having your arms & legs straight.
- We will practice a few short dives as well as have a few test shots.
- Do not hold air in your mouth, it would make you look like a puffer fish.
- Avoid letting air out through your nose, it is not always elegant in photos.
- Letting a small amount of air through your mouth can look very nice depending on the pose but don’t over do it.